Dhuwan Murgh(Smoked Chicken Curry)
Dhuwan Murgh is a Pakistani dish. It is chicken that is cooked in a flavorful gravy which is infused with coal smoke and then layered with yogurt and garnished. It is one of the best main courses you will ever come across. It’s spicy, it’s flavorful, the chicken is juicy and tender and cherry on top is the smokey flavor that comes from the infusion. In short, it’s just perfection. This recipe can also be made with mutton or beef.
You Will Need:
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Oil – As required
- Onion (finely chopped or sliced) – 1 medium
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 3 medium
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Crushed Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Crushed Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
For Assembling and Garnishing:
- Yogurt (whipped) – 1 cup
- Onions (thinly sliced rings separated) – 1 medium
- Green Chilies (sliced) – use as many as you like. I used 2.
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Chopped Mint Leaves – a handful
- Coal for smoke.
1. Heat oil in a pot and add onions. Fry until it is slightly brown.
2. Add chicken and fry for 1 minute or until it changes color.
3. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for few minutes.
4. After that add all the spices and tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes and then add enough water to make the meat tender. Cover and simmer on low heat until chicken is tender.
5. When the chicken is tender, turn the flame high and cook until the water dries up. Adjust the salt if needed. At this point the chicken is done.
6. Now burn the coal and place it on a small piece of foil or bread and put it on top of the Chicken in the pot. Pour a tsp of oil on the coal and tightly cover it with a lid to give it coal smoke. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
7. Take out the coal and dish it out in a serving dish. The pour 1 cup of whipped yogurt on top and spread it all over. But don’t mix it in the gravy.
8. Then arrange sliced onions, green chilies and chopped mint and coriander leaves on it. Serve it hot with naans.
Try out this meaty and flavorful recipe and let me know how it went for you by commenting down below and share a picture on Instagram with a hashtag #SwishPeekFood